Specify Installation Overview (Read this First)
This is an overview of installation procedures for Specify. Start here, then download and read the Specify Installation and Setup Guide (PDF).
Please select the version of Specify you have installed:
- We do not have Specify installed. Go to: New Specify Installation.
- We have Specify 5.2.1 or 5.2.2 installed. Download the Specify 5.2.3 Installer and run it on each workstation.
- We have Specify 4.0, 4.05, 4.6, 5.0, 5.1, 5.11 or 5.2 installed. Go to: Upgrading Specify 4.x and 5.x
- We have Specify 3.2 or earlier installed: Go to: Upgrading Specify 3.2 and Earlier Versions.
Upgrading Specify 4.x and 5.x
- Current Specify 5.x sites operating without Specify's web or DiGIR interfaces can simply run the 5.2.3 installer which will upgrade Specify automatically. We recommend that all 5.x sites upgrade to 5.2.3. Specify 5.2.3 will work with an existing Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE) data manager, though for new installations we recommend Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as the Specify's data manager. Installations going from 5.2 to 5.2.3 will need to remove any existing web queries and recreate them. (If you are upgrading from 5.2.1 or 5.2.2 to 5.2.3, you do not need to do this). Installations using DiGIR and upgrading from 5.2 to 5.2.3 do NOT need to change anything in their DiGIR setup. An installation upgrading from a version earlier than 5.2 that uses the Specify HTML web and DiGIR will need to undertake additional installation steps, as Specify 5.2 and Specify 5.2.2 has completely new web components and changed DiGIR software, both have new installation requirements and procedures. Specify 5.2.3's web and DiGIR software will not automatically upgrade existing Specify 5.11 (or earlier) web and DiGIR interfaces, and the latter will not work with Specify 5.2.3 If you are running the 5.11 (or earlier) web or DiGIR interfaces, see the Specify 5.2 Installation Guide before upgrading Specify to 5.2.3 for guidance on how to separately upgrade the web and DiGIR interfaces. It is VERY important to delete any web queries prior to updating. This is also true for the upgrade of 5.2 to 5.2.3 (see above). Upgrades from 5.2.1 or 5.2.2 to 5.2.3 do not need to erase existing web queries.
New Specify Installation
- Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for a data manager. One needs an installed, running copy of Microsoft SQL Server before Specify can be installed. For first-time installations, it would be useful to review Specify Site Installation Options to understand site configuration options. If you choose to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as your Specify data manager, download the Specify Installation Guide (PDF) on this site for helpful instructions.
- Alternatively, if you choose to install MS SQL Server on a dedicated server computer (see the Specify Site Installation Options page for discussion of this option), seek assistance from a network or systems administrator for your institution's MS SQL Server purchasing, licensing, installation and support procedures.
- Go to: Installing Specify 5.2.3.
- Read the Specify Download page and use the link there to download the Specify 5.2.3 Installation Package after completing the requested information on the download form.
- Starting with Specify 5.2 we are providing installation guidelines for the various Specify components in a separate document--the Specify Installation and Setup Guide. Please download and print that document for a complete step by step description of Specify installation procedures and options.
- Beginning with Specify 4.0, Specify stopped supporting Microsoft Access as its data manager. If you would like to upgrade to Specify 5.x from a version of Specify prior to 4.0, please let us know and we will guide you through the process.
Created by cj
Last modified 2008-09-22 04:55 PM
Last modified 2008-09-22 04:55 PM